Saturday, Nov 22 10:00a
Carkeek Park Seattle, WA
Learn about nature programs through our multitude of centers and parks spaces. Experience an urban salmon stream during the peak of the chum salmon run. Explore the lifecycle of the Pacific salmon and the hurdles they overcome to return to their home streams. All children must be accompanied by an adult. See the website to register online.
Carkeek Park is located at 950 NW Carkeek Park Rd., Seattle, WA, 98177 (509) 372-8106
This popular park offers extraordinary views of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains.
Over the past 38 years, the Shore Run/Walk has hosted thousands of participants and supporters that come together for one important cause, to support the fight against cancer through Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center! During the race, participants enjoy scenic courses along the western shore of Lake Washington and take part in the 10K Run, Zillow 5K Run/Walk or the Bert’s Red Apple Market Kids’ Run!
All donations and a portion of event proceeds will benefit Seattle’s Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, which strives to eliminate cancer and related diseases as causes of human suffering and death. Fred Hutch has pioneered breakthroughs in nearly every field of cancer research, saving thousands of lives worldwide.
Participants and supporters alike can enjoy food, music and plenty of fun for the whole family at the Party-In-The Park at the Finish Line!
Get registered for Seattle’s MOST scenic race… hands down!
Sunday, June 7, 2015
Zillow 5K Run/Walk — 8:15 a.m. (Leschi Park to Madison Park)
10K Run — 9 a.m. (Ferdinand Park to Madison Park)
Bert’s Red Apple Market Kids’ Run — 10:15 a.m. (Madison Park)
At 22nd Avenue NW
The Ballard City Hall once stood in the triangular Marvin’s Garden park (named for deceased town character Marvin Sjoberg) at 22nd Avenue NW. The original brick structure and bell tower were destabilized by the 1965 earthquake and demolished two years later. Its original bell survives in a new tower erected in 1976 as a U.S. Bicentennial Project. Sweden’s King Carl XVI Gustav and Seattle Mayor Wes Uhlman rang this bell on April 11, 1976, to officially dedicate the Ballard Historic District.
The nearby Sunset Hotel occupied the Jones Building, built in 1901 and home of Ballard’s original post office. The building was severely damaged by fire in 2000 but its owners hope to restore it. Olsen Furniture and the adjacent Habitude Day Spa occupy a pair of buildings dating from 1895 and 1896. Opposite them on southwest corner, the Guitar Emporium now fills the original 1901 facade of the A. W. Preston Drug Store.
Enjoy a guided day of bird watching! All trips meet at
Jefferson Community Center and begin with a short walk
there in the park. Participants will carpool and share
gas costs. Trips subject to cancellation due to weather.
Organized by volunteer Etta Cosey.
For more info, call Mari Becker at 206 684-4664
Point 2: Ballard Avenue NW at NW Market Street
Ballard Avenue NW is now protected as a local and national historic district, which was dedicated on April 11, 1976, by King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden. The main street of “Old Ballard” was gradually abandoned as the neighborhood’s business district relocated to NW Market Street. Thus, Ballard Avenue’s newest structures are found at its intersection with Market. This is anchored on the west by the present home of an Indian restaurant, originally built in 1923, and on the east by an older two-story building from 1903, now home of an Italian restaurant. If nothing else, these dueling eateries demonstrate that there’s more than lutefisk to eat in Ballard. Note that Ballard Avenue NW runs southeast from NW Market Street. We will refer to its opposite sides as east and west (closest to the water) as we proceed down the avenue.
The vaguely Art Deco home of the Ballard Family Center was built in 1920, adjacent to the older former Princess Hotel at 5443-5447 Ballard NW, which dates from 1903. The incongruous Mission Style facades of the Ballard Smoke Shop and Vik Apartments a few doors east reflect the fad for California architecture which spread north in the mid-1920s. Across the street, Marley’s Snowboards and The Grape Wine Shop & Bistro occupy a 1906 commercial building. A little farther stands a vacant 1908 building that was the original home of Ballard’s Eagle’s Lodge and the printing plant for the Ballard Tribune.
The nearby Burk’s Cafe, a Cajun restaurant, occupies a converted 1890s house a few steps farther east. The south side of the block ends at a handsome two-story brick structure built in 1901. Once a J.C. Penny’s department store, its main tenant now is The Paint Patch crafts shop.
Green Lake Tree Walk
Date Saturday, October 18, 2014, 9:30am – 12pm
Location Green Lake Community Center
7201 E Green Lake Dr N
Seattle, WA 98115
Neighborhoods Ballard, Green Lake, Greenwood/Phinney Ridge
Event Types Community, Nature/Environment
Audience Adults, Family
Sponsoring Organization Seattle reLeaf
Contact Tree Ambassador
Contact Phone 206.615.1668
Contact Email TreeAmbassador@seattle.gov
Site Contact Details Meet at the Green Lake Community Center Beach (7201 East Green Lake Dr N)
Registration Details Let’s take a walk around one of Seattle’s most popular places, Green Lake. Tree Ambassador Penny Kriese will lead the 2.8 mile walk around the lake. This is a chance to test your tree knowledge and enjoy some beautiful trees. Please plan to bring a snack or drink as we will be walking the entire 2.8 miles around the lake. See you there rain or shine! Email questions to TreeAmbassador@seattle.gov. Please RSVP.